The links below represent news we thought would be good to share. The news covers foster care, child abuse and neglect, adoption and former foster youth in the United States and abroad.
- The Foster Care System: What parents Wish We Knew – News coverage of the foster care system is often in response to stories about the children — their struggles and sometimes their triumphs. Much of the public perception of foster parents is based on stereotypes and misconceptions. (NPR)
- Foster kids press lawmakers for ‘Bill of Rights’ – KATU Portland – A KATU On Your Side Investigation exposed problems with the foster care system in January when the state removed two children from their foster home of several years.
- ‘American dream’ or fraud? The rise of Dan Simon and Community Care Resources – Wisconsin State Journal – From a humble childhood in northern Wisconsin, Dan Simon parlayed hard work and long hours into the largest for-profit foster care agency in Wisconsin.
- Women Who Suffered Childhood Abuse More Likely to Have Child with Autism – Psych Central – Women who were victims of childhood abuse are at greater risk of having a child with autism spectrum disorder, according to new research. In fact, those women who suffered the most physical and emotional abuse were 60 percent more likely to have a child with autism than women who were not abused.
- Child Abuse Prevention Focus of Sacramento Summit – Sacramento Today – Sacramento, CA.-Child advocates from all fifty U.S. states and numerous other countries will gather in Sacramento March 29th, 30th and 31st
- Child abuse investigation lands Visalia man behind bars – KFSN-TV Fresno – The little boy is still in the hospital and listed in critical condition. Investigators say he has a serious head injury.